[Qgis-developer] New feature's needed, create geometry from attribute

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Sun Jun 30 02:45:05 PDT 2013

Hi all,
After some training courses here, a very common use case is not satisfied
easily:

The only entry to create geometry from text (XY or WKT) is the delimited
text plugin.
It appears that having a separate fonction "create point" like in Mapinfo or
Arcgis would be really handy, and could avoid the need of csv import.

I was thinking of making a plugin for this, but I'm wondering what is the
best approach.
 1- duplicate layer into a memory layer. Easy, requires MemoryLayerSaver to
make data persistent, is not dynamic with datasource.
 2- create a pluginLayer? I'm not sure it will do what I need. I would like
the project to keep a reference to the datasource (xls, whatever ogr/
postgres/ sqlite/ spatialite) and replace or create geometry on load by
reading XY columns or WKT column.

Is that feasable in a plugin,  as a proof of concept, or does it require
core classes modifications (C++ work , so I won't do it by myself)

Thanks for your tips,
Régis