[Qgis-developer] QGS harvesting to build a metadata catalog

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Mar 1 13:10:06 PST 2013

Hi Paolo,

We use Geonetwork as our metadata catalogue, in conjunction with a range of FOSS tools including Postgis, mapserver, Geoserver, QGIS, etc.

Personally, I'd see more advantages in enhancing the CSW client capability of QGIS, so it can harvest data & specifically allow users to add catalogued OGC WMS/WCS/WFS services to the list of stored services, instead of adding them manually. If you are developing a metadata catalogue capability, I'm happy to support a client capability, any server capability is not likely to be of use for us, though it may be for those using QGIS in a server capacity in other ways.

We have funded Sourcepole to develop a plugin which harvests a list of WxS service URLs & basic metadata from a list in a web page (http://www.niwa.co.nz/ei/feeds/report) and allows users to select layers as predefined favourites, and some other stuff...

I'm planning to enhance this in the near future. We are currently funding an enhancement to Geonetwork to improve the harvesting facilities for metadata provided  in WxS services, and once this is complete, will be funding changes to our QGIS plugin to enable CWS harvesting from Geonetwork instead of from the above web page.

As I do have funds to provide such specific capability, if you can align your projects to meet our requirements, I'm quite happy to work with other QGIS developers to mutual benefit.

One comment on your requests for donations and funding for QGIS, I've asked a few times on this list for developers to undertake paid work to provide specific enhancements for QGIS, and have been surprised at the lack of response. 3 developers expressing interest is about the best I have received, sometimes zero.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood