[Qgis-developer] Feature freeze commencing the ides of March

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Mar 4 05:40:24 PST 2013

Hi

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Radim Blazek <radim.blazek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I appreciate that a release plan is finally getting published and the way
>> for a shiny 2.0 is being paved.
>>
>> I'm currently working on relation enhancements and nested forms for related
>> features. Unfortunately, this branch will not be ready by March 15, but I
>> know, that there are some people who would like to see this included in 2.0.
>> I'm sure it will offer a handy possibility for lots of users.
>> Of course, there will always be some new features, that just won't make it
>> into a new release and as Tim said, "the line has to be drawn somewhere in
>> the sand".
>> Anyway, if the feature freeze would be a month later, the relation
>> enhancements could go into master before 2.0.
>>
>> So I have the same question as Marco. What should we do: wait for 2.1, shift
>> feature freeze or except this from feature freeze?
>
> It seems that 2 weeks to finish all works won't be sufficient. The
> date itself probably would not be problem if it was announced 2 months
> ago. We should have probably always enough time between freeze
> announcement and freeze date. Some developers are also working on
> contracted works which are expected to go to 2.0. And it was
> reasonable expectation if feature freeze date was not known until now.
>
> I think that feature freeze should be announced at least 2 months
> before feature freeze.

Well in Essen we said we were going to wait for a defined feature  set
to make it into GIT  and then call the freeze.  Basically we have been
waiting for Martin's vector refactor branch to be merged and other
features as listed on our short list. We didnt have an ETA for this so
we didnt have a specific freeze date. I'm happy to follow your
suggestion for 2.1 but I'm not sure we want to wait another 2 months
before commencing feature freeze for 2.0 (during which other new
features will start arriving and being almost ready just before the
cut off date etc.).

I would propose we give specific features (Marco H and Matthias K's
work) leeway to come into master up to 1 April but still call the
freeze on 15 March as laid out. If there is a general concensus that
we should wait two months before the freeze then we can shift the
timeline along I guess.

Regards

Tim

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net