[Qgis-developer] fTools and GdalTools: sextante vs original plugins

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 12:42:04 PDT 2013

Before doing that, we should make sure all algorithms are in SEXTANTE.
Some of them might not be in there, because I did not ported them,
considering that another algorithm was equivalent. Particularly, the
dem tools and the interpolation tools in SAGA should replace the ones
in GDAL and add much more options. Moving those GDAL algorithms to
SEXTANTE would allow to remove the GDAL tools...but will add more
redundant algorithms to SEXTANTE (there are DEM tools already from
SAGA and GRASS), so we have a similar problem.

Anyway, I think that redundancy in SEXTANTE is not so bad as having
several ways of doing the same thing in the QGIS interface, since
users will understand that algorithms come from differnt providers and
are not completely identical.

Cheers