[Qgis-developer] fTools and GdalTools: sextante vs original plugins

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Mar 20 00:14:39 PDT 2013

On 03/19/2013 11:34 PM, Alexander Bruy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:40:03 +0100
> Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The port of original algorithms to SEXTANTE seems to be nearly
>> complete  and SEXTANTE has superior approach of creating the GUI for
>> algorithms dynamically (similar to GRASS toolbox) instead of manually
>> creating GUI for each algorithm. So...what about removing the original
>> fTools and GdalTools plugins before 2.0 and focusing on improvements
>> of their counterparts in SEXTANTE?
>
> +1 for removing fTools and GDALTools.
>
> But unfortunately not all fTools and GDAL tools algorithms ported to
> SEXTANTE, some of them still present only in original plugins. I
> plan to work on this.
>
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 20:42:04 +0100
> Victor Olaya <volayaf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I think that redundancy in SEXTANTE is not so bad as having
>> several ways of doing the same thing in the QGIS interface, since
>> users will understand that algorithms come from differnt providers and
>> are not completely identical.
>
> Also note that some users have no SAGA installed but when similar
> algorithm from GDAL (or other more common source) is available they
> still can do their work. So redundancy is not bad.

I'd encourage that those tools still be made available via the Vector
and Raster menus. Also that they should be update-able via the Fetch
python plugins. Preferably independent of Sextante upgrades, but still
be the integrated version.

I also would miss the command line viewer that's in GDAL Tools. That is
extremely useful when prototyping something that I plan to move to a script.

Does sextante allow for batch application the way GDALTools currently does?

So basically, I'm all for streamlining but I don't want to loose
features and flexibility because of that.

Thanks,
Alex