[Qgis-developer] Performance for selection on attribute table

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 27 23:44:03 PDT 2013

Hi Régis

The attribute table is not using any providers indexes. And when
thinking about it a couple of questions arise like stable syntax across
providers (different providers need different SQL which either needs to
be translated from QgsExpressions or written by the user). Then a
request needs to also include not-yet-committed features. These need to
be evaluated as well. In case the user directly specifies sql for the
provider and not a QgsExpression this will pose some more problems.

A new caching mechanism has been merged recently, but I don't expect
any performance improvements yet. The new caching mechanism
nevertheless supports plugable indexes, which I hope can help at least
in part of these situations as soon as they are implemented.

The only possibility to make use of the data providers indexes that I
know of right now (apart from making views et al) is to provide a
subset string in the layer properties, but that's most likely not what
you want.

Also, as mentioned by Denis Rouzaud, the rendering that takes when the
selection changes place takes its bit of the performance. I remember,
that somebody began a list of such unnecessarily triggered renders, but
can't find it right now. I hope that in this area some work will be
done as well.

Kind regards,
Matthias