[Qgis-developer] Clarification on feature and GUI freezes

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Mar 28 14:36:42 PDT 2013

Hi

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do GUI updates, like migrating from horizontal tabs to vertical ones, that
> do not really add a feature fall under the feature freeze, or can they be
> done up until the GUI freeze?

Since doing this would add to the general fit and finish of the 2.0
final release, I would say +1 for allowing this work to be carried out
in the period up to the GUI freeze.

> Basically, I'm not quite sure what is modifiable, and to what extent,
> between the feature and GUI freezes. Would appreciate some clarification.

Basically we want to avoid adding large wads of new code or making any
sweeping changes to the code base so that the focus moves to
stabilising what we already have. So in a general sense commits post
feature freeze should be focussed on fixing bugs.

The gui freeze is intended to allow us to prepare press materials and
to allow documentors etc. to start preparing materials that will
coincide with the release.

> Also, IMO, moving completely to SVG icons (where possible) during April
> would also be a good GUI goal.

+1 please go ahead with this if you have time. This is also something
we could defer to 2.1 if needed.

Regards

Tim

> Thanks,