[Qgis-developer] Label backgrounds (shape, SVG, drop shadow)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Mar 30 04:32:24 PDT 2013

Hi,

In an effort to bring a basic label background feature into 2.0 before for
the freeze, I figured out a good approach that makes adding label
backgrounds much easier (better late than never, I suppose) [0]. This means
that adding SVGs and drop shadows for label backgrounds is only an extra
couple of days of work.

Here's a preliminary gui setup [1] (not all may be implemented, but most
can easily be).

An example of generic rounded-corner rectangles (a la web mapping and many
road shields) with a bit of x/y offset to nicely center the text [2].

And, an example of the 'centering' of the background relative to the label
contents (background rotated 90 deg relative to text) [3], regardless of
label's offset placement (see pink-text label next to point feature). This
is a crucial feature for integrating many types of backgrounds.

Both examples also show one issue: while labels don't overlap due to
collision management, their backgrounds might overlap each other or
previously drawn label text. I believe this is fixable, though I don't know
how long it will take, off hand.

So... basically, I'm asking those who make decisions whether I can work for
another week on this feature, for inclusion in 2.0.

[0] https://github.com/dakcarto/Quantum-GIS/commits/labeling_bkgrd-symbols_3
[1] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/labeling_background-gui.png
[2] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/labeling_background-rounded.png
[3] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/labeling_background-rotation.png