[Qgis-developer] Label backgrounds (shape, SVG, drop shadow)

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Mar 30 15:48:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

Ok, I'm going to do what I can in the next week, then put it up for review
for inclusion in 2.0.

Note that these changes to the labeling engine will also work well when
moving to styles and rule-based labeling. When that happens (I think a
definite main goal for 2.1) then pretty much most of the current labeling
gui and supporting gui logic will be tossed out (all except for small
widget groupings), in favor of the symbology-ng gui approach. So, while
some of the work I'm doing is redundant, it will be good to have the
background features in use and to garner user feedback. Hard telling how
long it will be until 2.1.  :^)

Also, thanks to Tim for starting this with his commits a while back for
road shields [0], which I used for reference.

[0] https://github.com/timlinux/Quantum-GIS/commits/shield-labels

Regards,

Larry