[Qgis-developer] Logo Update

Borys Jurgiel lists at borysjurgiel.pl
Wed May 1 02:25:06 PDT 2013

Dnia środa, 1 maja 2013 o 09:44:20 Radim Blazek napisał(a):
> OK, I just want to let you know that the first impression for somebody
> who has not invented the logo may be different. I see three creatures,
> Wassermann and his fellows trying to divide the Earth.
>
> This is my second impression: http://bench.qgis.cz/ms-google-qgis.jpg

I must say I had exactly the same two impressions. I'm not a designer nor
visual communication expert and I definitely don't feel competent to rate
logos, but probably most of the community isn't too, so I decided to write my
2 cents.

I must confess I don't like Larry's work at all (Larry, please don't be
offended! :) ). For me it's still far too much complicated. Yes, the story
behind is nice, but for me (as I said I'm not a proffesional) an ideal logo
contains one shape and one colour. For example, Apple's logo is a good logo.

For that reason I strongly prefer #50. It's not ideal still, but it's a
completely opposite: simple, clean and tidy. And - what is also important - it
refers to our good old colours and - in quite clever way - to the old shape.

Of course you can find #50 too cold, or too corporation-style. Well, for me
it's just proffesional and it's not a disadvantage. I guess with the two logos
we send completely opposite messages:
- "We're cool guys, we try to make nice things"
vs
- "We're a proffesional GIS"

and, after consideration, I prefer the second one.