[Qgis-developer] Could ubuntugis PPA be a recommended repository for QGIS 2.0 on Ubuntu ?

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Mon May 6 07:40:47 PDT 2013

On 05/06/2013 03:50 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> On Mon, 06. May 2013 at 14:58:55 +0200, Ivan Mincik wrote:
>> I wonder if ubuntugis PPA could be a recommended and only one repository
>> for QGIS 2.0 on Ubuntu instead of distribution packaged version and
>> package from 'http://qgis.org/debian'.
>
> Recommended: ok.
> Only: why?
>
> I don't see the problem with a less intrusive version (ie. qgis on plain
> ubuntu) and a more intrusive version (ie. qgis on ubuntugis).

Ubuntu distribution packages stick with 1.7 version which is obsolete.

> Switching between the same versions from different repositories might be a
> problem, but I suppose that doesn't happen often.
>
> Maintaining both versions wasn't a big problem in the past, so I don't expect it
> be come one in future.

Maybe a bug fixing could be easier when you deal for example with lesser
GDAL versions. Also when a time goes on distribution libraries goes
older and more version dependent workarounds must be provided (for
example GDAL 1.10 has better support for PostGIS raster and SpatiaLite)

> The packages are only built on release, with the current dependencies at that
> point - and only updated, when manually when necessary.  But that also applies
> to both repositories.

PPA build could be less error prone than self made PBuilder. I am often
not sure if my pbuilder updated build deps when building packages
depending each other.

>> What needs to be done ?:
>
>> 1. Fine tuned Debian 'control' file to prevent conflicting installation of
>>    packages after upgrading from distribution packages to UbuntuGIS
>>    (this is the case for example in GDAL)
>
> 0. Report those problems.

Yes, I am going to fix them in my PPA and send a patch. But I am not
sure where reports for PPAs should be submitted.

>> 2. More clearly described relation between ubuntugis-stable and
>>    ubuntugis-unstable repositories (when the packages move from unstable to
>>    stable ...)
>
> Yes, that would be nice to know - I only upload to ubuntugis-unstable ;)

What I am missing for PPAs is some kind of wiki where these informations
could be placed.

Jurgen, thanks for your Debian/Ubuntu packaging.

--
Ivan Mincik