[Qgis-developer] many SVG symbols disappeared

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed May 15 13:56:22 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM, John C. Tull <jctull at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> On May 7, 2013, at 1:42 AM, Duarte Carreira <DCarreira at edia.pt> wrote:
>
> > If we can get hold of the old symbology lib than that's fine by me. But
> please don't make us and others rebuild their entire organization's
> cartography just because you don't like the symbols.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Duarte
>
> An option to get the old symbols should suffice, right? Instructions on
> what needs to be done with these symbols for each platform might also be
> helpful.

Well, even though I agree with the new changes, it will be a harsh
situation for those who have used the deprecated ones in their projects.
And, kind of rude (from the users standpoint) to force the change and
require a manual rebuild of existing projects.

There are still some issues regarding the new symbol setup:

1) IMO, the deprecation of many symbols is fine, if they are moved to a
'deprecated' folder. Such a folder may or may not be part of the SVG search
paths, but still in source and installed. Then, just like when you move or
restructure a web site, create some path rewrite rules that will
auto-update a <2.0 project and rewrite the deprecated SVG paths to the
deprecated SVGs folder.

This could remove the deprecated SVGs from the selector interface, but not
break existing projects. When user goes to work with the symbol, the
correct path is visible, but they can only select new-style SVGs for which
to update the symbol, unless they specifically browse to the deprecated
folder and link to a deprecated one again.

I think such an approach will keep good karma with the user community.

2) Many of the new symbols are white as default. This is probably so they
work well on top of a colored background when layered. However, this makes
them very difficult to preview (especially on Mac). Either the widget view
needs to have a medium gray background, or the default color for those SVGs
should be gray (or maybe black, but gray would work better). This assumes
that all those SVGs have color parameters that can just be changed later.

3) The new SVG backgrounds for labels do not yet support such 'layered'
symbols. Currently only a single SVG can be used. There needs to be a
decent selection of background SVGs for labels (e.g. road shields) that do
not require layering. Layering backgrounds may not be a good fit for
labeling in the future either, since single SVGs with drop shadows already
slow labeling down.

Regards,

Larry