[Qgis-developer] QGIS Server - GetPrint with a composer containing HTML block causes segfault

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Thu May 23 05:30:00 PDT 2013

Hi Tim and Marco

I come back to this subject after helping to solve the performance problem
with Mathias.
So, I am first runnning my tests on my ubuntu laptop. Since it is my
computer, it is not ubuntu server but the classical Ubuntu with an X server
running.

I tried in my terminal
echo $DISPLAY
:0

So it seems (but I am far from being a X server guru !) that this is the
DISPLAY value I should pass to QGIS Server.
This is why I added the following configurartion in my virtual host (and in
the fastcgi config file):

In the virtual host
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews FollowSymLinks
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
                SetEnv LD_LIBRARY_PATH "/home/kimaidou/src/qgis/build/lib"
                SetEnv DISPLAY :0
        </Directory>

In /etc/apache2/mods-available/fastcgi.conf

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
  AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
  #FastCgiWrapper /usr/lib/apache2/suexec
  FastCgiIpcDir /var/lib/apache2/fastcgi
  FastCgiConfig -idle-timeout 70 -maxClassProcesses 50 -minProcesses 3
-init-start-delay 3 -restart-delay 20 -startDelay 15 -initial-env
DISPLAY=:0 -initial-env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kimaidou/src/qgis/build/lib/
</IfModule>

I am pretty confident the default configuration is not used but I doubled
it just in case

After restarting my Apache Server, QGIS Server just hangs with the very
simple URL
http://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi
which should reply with an error in XML format.
So it seems Apache/QGIServer do not like my DISPLAY parameter.

Any hint ?
Would it be simplier to test this in a real server with no existing X
Server by using Xfvb ?

Michael