[Qgis-developer] [Qgis-user] New Icons - difficult to "read"

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Fri May 24 11:33:12 PDT 2013

Hi,

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM, kimaidou <kimaidou at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 with Paolo
> I prefer the new default qgis icon set, but I do not understand why we
> need to remove the other icon sets, as long as the "qgis" theme is the new
> default one.

A big -1 for the project maintaining 2 themes. If the old default is not
maintained with distinctly different icons (it hasn't been for a while)
then it only presents more hodge-podge-looking design for the project to
end users.

If something ships with the final release package, it should be maintained.
IMO, the old default theme is not maintained (and looks like it), therefore
it should not ship, and no more energy should be wasted on maintaining it.

This is similar to the decision to focus on only master branch and release
the app from it, instead of maintaining multiple version branches with
backports. It really comes down to streamlining the whole release process
and providing a quality app, all with limited development resources,
instead of trying to be everything to all users. Using that paradigm,
maintaining a second, defunct theme just doesn't seem reasonable.

I do think the multi-theme code should be left, so third-party devs or
users can use their own themes, but this does mean those users need to
recompile the app. (Current theme support does not allow run-time switching
of the theme, even after a restart.)

A big +1 for only focusing on fixing the current issues with the new
default theme, AND extending the GUI/string freeze until it is ready for
2.0 release (though the hard feature/API freeze should happen really soon).

Towards that move-forward-only goal, and given the obvious time
constraints, I propose the following:

1) List all icons on a single wiki page - Something similar was started
back in 2011 [0]. Just updating that page should work. This means all icons
in main image.qrc and for core plugins that have their own .qrc files.

2) Comment on specific icons or groups of icons - Everyone puts their
comments on that wiki page, hopefully in a constructive and timely manner
(within the next 3-5 days?).

3) Fix a subset of icons for 2.0 - Once problem icons are identified, fix
the most problematic ones for 2.0 release. This does mean that some more
icons will later change on 2.1 release (to update all of the theme), but no
icon should change at both releases, especially the core, main interface
icons.

Using this method, Robert, and anyone helping him, can focus directly on
what needs fixed, and prioritize those fixes for a 2.0 release.

[0] http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/17/Icons_20

Regards,

Larry