[Qgis-developer] Expression based diagrams ?

kimaidou kimaidou at gmail.com
Tue May 28 04:06:37 PDT 2013

Hi Matthias,

2013/5/28 Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch>

> Hi Michael,
>
> There is also a feature request open for this
> http://hub.qgis.org/issues/6768

Ok, thanks for pointing it.

> I think this won't be an option for 2.0 but if there is a sponsor
> around, I could make it for 2.1.

Unfortunately I cannot be the one sponsoring :(

> But we should first think about what
> features this would include.

I totally agree. Diagrams have a lot of options, so we must focus on most
wanted options imho.

> Do you see a benefit of having data defined colors? Having the same
> class with different colors on different diagrams seems odd to me. Can
> you give an example of where this might be useful?

I forgot to say I would like to use this with text diagrams. I would like
to be able to choose a color (here for the printed text inside each text
diagram slice) depending on data values. For example, print
* slice 1 : temperature in green under 20°C, orange between 20 and 25, red
above 25°C.
* slice 2 : pressure with text color depending on other values
* slice 3: ..., etc.

We could also imagine to draw the "text diagrams" not in a circle, but in a
rectangle, or in honeycomb shapes, etc. The basic idea is to represent some
fields in the same order for each feature (as the text diagram does), and
to use the color (which could be the background color instead of the text
color) in order to represent the value intensity.

Cheers
Michael