[Qgis-developer] Topology editing in QGis

Sandro Santilli strk at keybit.net
Mon Nov 4 03:33:04 PST 2013

On Sun, Nov 03, 2013 at 11:48:31AM +0100, Radim Blazek wrote:

> Topology models are usually using multiple geometry types (e.g. nodes,
> edges). Multi geometry type layers may also be useful for non                                                                                    > topological layers. How difficult would it be to support multiple
> geometry types in a single layer?
                                                                                                                                                   The path I took for postgis topology was instead to keep layers
separated. They are still correlated one-other (changes in one layer
may result in changes propagating to other layers), but they are
still seen as separate layers in the layer management, so that you
can set their visibility independently and/or style them differently.

I think it may be useful to have support for mixed geometry types
within a single layer but don't feel any urgent need for them to
edit topologies.

How do you like the separated layers approach ? Do you think it could
work for GRASS topologies ? I guess one limitation of it is that when
you enter "edit mode" you do so in a single layer, thus implicitly
(rather than explicitly) also editing correlated but
not-marked-as-being-edited layers. But this would already be the case
by opening the same datasource twice...

--strk;