[Qgis-developer] Error in stand-alone installer: cannot read xls files

Chrest, David davidc at rti.org
Wed Nov 6 11:14:35 PST 2013

Folks,

It looks like there is an error in the QGIS 2.0.1 stand-alone installer.
I have this installed and my browser does not recognize .xls files and I
get a data type error when trying to add using Add Vector Layer - All
files that states: not a valid or recognized data source.

However, from what several people have indicated to me, QGIS installed
with the OSGeo4W installer, there is no problem adding .xls tables to
QGIS and the software performs just as expected like Anita Graser
describes on page 50 of her Learning QGIS 2.0 book.

Can the stand-alone installer be fixed so that it has the same
functionality as the OSGeo4W installer? A wise QGIS expert told me they
should have the same functionality.

Thanks so much,

David

David Chrest