[Qgis-developer] Rotation of Labels

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Nov 13 12:02:00 PST 2013

Hi Bernhard,

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM, Bernhard Ströbl
<bernhard.stroebl at jena.de>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if the rotation of labels is as it should be. I am using a
> point layer containing text strings and rotation angles.
> When setting the "Quadrant" of the label (option "Offset from point") the
> label is first displaced from the point and then rotated around _the
> label's centre_. IMHO the behaviour should be to rotate the label around
> _the label point_.
> Opinions?

The default placement for "Offset from point" is the center of the label
registered over the point (or Quadrant wouldn't make much sense). Applying
a rotation that rotates the label around a different point seems
unintuitive to me, but maybe I am not understanding your alternative.

Can you show this graphically, along with the settings that would produce
the individual graphics? And, maybe expand more upon the general use case?

I am unclear what you mean by _the label point_. Do you mean the label's
default rotation origin (lower left), or do you mean the feature point?

I also chose rotating around the center of the label to ensure the label
stays 'contained' within the specified quadrant. There is extra code to
ensure the label's location is shifted to keep the overall label inside the
quadrant; otherwise, applying a rotation would break the concept of
choosing a quadrant.

Regards,

Larry