[Qgis-developer] Make digitizing tools available in Python

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 22:49:19 PST 2013

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Alexander Bruy
<alexander.bruy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> QgsMapToolEdit and QgsMapToolCapture are in src/app and not available in
> Python. But both this tools can be useful as base classes for creating custom
> digitizing tools.
>
> Are there any specific reasons for having them in src/app? Is it
> possible to expose
> them in Python?

Hi Alexander

in theory those two classes could be moved to the GUI library. However
they feel more like base classes for few particular classes, without
API that would clearly suggest when / why /  how somebody would need
to use them. So I am wondering what is the actual list of features
that you would like to use from QgsMapToolEdit and QgsMapToolCapture -
maybe a better solution would be to create a new utility class in GUI
library that would provide the desired functionality in a cleaner way
(e.g. message bar notifications, rubber band according settings,
geometry validator that creates vertex markers, ...)

Regards
Martin