[Qgis-developer] Multi threading and background processing

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 23:33:59 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM, Tom Moore <moortom at gmail.com> wrote:

> As you can imagine from my newbie questions I'm not a python guy.  While I
> really like a lot of the modern mechanisms in python I have never been able
> to look at a python script without being puzzled by the retro/hipster nature
> of using whitespace as syntax.  As someone who once lined up fortran
> statements on punch cards you will have to pry whitespace indifferent
> languages from my cold hunt-n-peck fingers. Anyway, I'm expecting to use
> python for the ui and glue code, and do all of the number crunching in a C
> module.  Horses for courses eh?

Let me note one more thing here: if you think of writing number
crunching in C, things will get more complicated: you will need to
compile and ship the binaries somehow - the plugin repository does not
accept plugins with architecture dependent binaries. Maybe try to have
a look at numpy module, it's fairly common for fast array/matrix
operations in python.

Martin