[Qgis-developer] Context help is evil and old

Jonathan Moules jonathanmoules at warwickshire.gov.uk
Wed Nov 27 02:42:23 PST 2013

Hi Richard,
For reference, I opened a ticket on this a couple of months ago -
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/8699 - and had similar findings to yourself
Cheers,
Jonathan

On 27 November 2013 08:31, Richard Duivenvoorde <rdmailings at duif.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while the idea of context help buttons in dialogs is great...
>
> In practice that help is either not available, or outdated or not
> translated or (differently) duplicated into the Documentation
> (and as a tranlator it is pretty boring to translate all the context
> help texts....).
>
> What about unifying all help in the Manual (website). With Sphinx (our
> docs are generated with it) it is pretty easy to point to a specific
> paragraph in the manual ( right click on the paragraph sign next to the
> heading ). Eg the section about loading shapfiles:
>

> http://www.qgis.org/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_vector/supported_data.html#loading-a-shapefile
>
> We could:
>
> 1) either just put a link into the context help so a connected user can
> jump to the docs website
>
> 2) or we could load that page in the QGIS help dialog (in a webkit widget)
>
> 3) or (??) we could try to package the docs into the QGIS install and
> load the local file inot the QGIS help dialog.
>
> Only 'problem' I see is that we maybe have to write some more
> specialized or more general paragraphs in the manual which are suited
> for the context help. I'm thinking about for example the description of
> all the functions in the field calculator etc. Or in case of the 'Open
> Vector Layer Dialog' about a more general paragraph about the loading of
> vector data via OGR.
>
> Another example of very different results for the same topic:
>
> The context help for delimited text context help is VERY verbose and
> helpfull:
>

> https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/resources/context_help/QgsDelimitedTextSourceSelect
>
> While compared with the docs, these are rather thin:
>

> http://www.qgis.org/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/general_tools.html?highlight=delimited#add-delimited-text-layer
>
> So my proposal: let's get rid of help TEXT in the context help. Put all
> text (and energy) in DOCS and link to them or show them.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Duivenvoorde

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may
contain sensitive or protectively marked material up to RESTRICTED and
should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error
please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us,
including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording
and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.