[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2 64bits, is it stable ?

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Oct 3 03:21:31 PDT 2013

Hi René-Luc, hi all,

I don't know about these specific problems, but I can well imagine, that
there are some flaws hidden in all the new features introduced, since
2.0 marks a huge step forward in terms of functionality.

Recently there has been a discussion around the topic of managing a
stable release with different opinions and plans from different parties.

As already said, I think that 2.0 marks a big step forward. All this
would not have been possible without a lot of time invested by various
people, some of it on a contract basis and some on a voluntary basis. I
have myself been spending countless unpaid hours on fixing bugs because
I wanted to make this release awesome (Just to be clear, it was fun, I
don't want to complain!)
I think the developers have (once more) shown, that they are able to
produce a professional product.

However, at the current stage, I think it would be very good, to have a
sponsored bug-squashing effort, just like we had to have Jürgen work on
getting rid of blockers before the release. I think we should promote
targeted donations to get rid of the most annoying issues. I'm sure
there are companies out there which save a lot on licenses. It would be
a good time to reinvest part of this money into the project.

Kind regards,
Matthias