[Qgis-developer] QGIS 2 64bits, is it stable ?

Vincent Picavet vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Oct 3 12:19:01 PDT 2013

Hello,

Le jeudi 3 octobre 2013 13:13:10, Sandro Santilli a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 03, 2013 at 12:00:05PM +0100, Jonathan Moules wrote:
> > Assuming it's not already done, I'd suggest that requiring Unit Tests for
> > all new features should be mandatory for a Pull Request/patch to be
> > accepted into QGIS. In the long term that would hopefully help alleviate
> > the significant number of regressions that we're seeing in 2.0.
>
> +1
>
> Of course providing tests will only be effective when there's also a rule
> of not accepting changes beaking any of the tests, and that's only
> effective when there's a continuous monitoring of testsuite runs. All of
> that is likely yet to be defined by the new Testing and QA Manager.

And another +1. It's time to focus on code quality to reduce bugs and
maintainance costs, for which it is always difficult to find funding.
We need more unit test, more code quality dashboards and much stricter rules
relative to what code has to be accepted into master.
A PostgreSQL-like code inclusion workflow, with commitfest and review, could be
something interested, to be discussed.

On the funding side, for information, public administrations, at least in
france, cannot pay for a time based contract. Estimating how much time a bug
fix could take is a really hard task (except if you fixed the bug already). This
is a problem both for company willing to fix bug for paid contracts and for
public administrations wanting to finance bugs, and can explain the funding
situation related to maintainance and bugfixing.

Vincent