[Qgis-developer] texi2pdf and pdf manuals

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Oct 10 04:22:32 PDT 2013

Hi Devs,

who is familiar with the texi2pdf stuff we used for the generation of
the pdf manuals?

Please have a look (or try out) this Makefile:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/Makefile

it is more or less copied/makiefied from

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/blob/master/scripts-old/post_translate.sh

after the latex build we use texi2pdf to generate the pdf's

I could not make it work via the pushd popd stuff like in the script, so
try to use some texi2pdf parameters:

--build-dir=$(BUILDDIR)/latex/$(LANG)/

so it is build in the output/latex/xx/ directory.
After that I copy it to the 'live' directory (which is being served via
apache)

While (most languages) working on my machine, it is failing on the server.
Two problems:
- I see this msg: egrep: Invalid range end which is not seen on my machine
- on my machine the pdf is found in:
output/latex/xx/QGISUserGuide.t2d/pdf/build/QGISUserGuide.pdf but on the
server it ends up in a dir with a dot and exclamation marks:
output/latex/xx/.!QGISUserGuide.t2d/pdf/build/QGISUserGuide.pdf

So Questions:
- can somebody please test if you have the server problems too
- can somebody please help me to fix this (otherwise: no pdf's :-( )

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps: there are currently a lot of errors in the documentation builds....