[Qgis-developer] QGIS crash sometimes damages project file

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 14 01:45:12 PDT 2013

Hi,

I had it now the second time that a crashing QGIS would damage a project
file. Unfortunately it wasn't myself, but co-workers of me and I did not
exactly see what they did.

According to the users they did not even save the project, just QGIS
crashed and destroyed the .qgs file. Can this really happen?

I examined the .qgs-File after the crash, the file was still
well-formed, but the <legend/> element was empty, all the print
composers disappeared and several map layers were missing.

Is this a known-issue?

For now, I set the project-file to "read-only" to avoid such problems so
that only I as the administrator can modify the file, but it is not the
best solution ...

-----
>From my wife I also heard that some of her students had this issue of
broken .qgs files after QGIS crashes. So at least this is not only in
our office.
-----

I am really sorry that I cannot provide more details now. Just want to
see if others have similar issues and if there are solutions.

Andreas