[Qgis-developer] Teaching Processing: notes from the wild

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 03:21:23 PDT 2013

>>> * the Field calculator is barely usable without a dropdown list of fields and
>>> functions; on win it does not seem to work (most or all calculations end up with all
>>> NULLs); unclear if this is due to minor edit issues from users (quite likely without
>>> the dropdowns)
>> Maybe I'm wrong, but currently there is no way to create such widgets
>> and use them
>> in Processing algorithms.
>
> this is also what I understand

You are both wrong :-)

When the algorithm is started, a method called
getCustomParametersDialog() is called. If it doesn't exist, the
default dialog is used. If you want an algorithm to have a different
dialog, you can create it and just return it in here. Right now, no
algorithm implements that method, but the architecture of Processing
supports that

Regarding releasing a new version, I actually do not know how to do
it, considering that there is not Processign plugin page, so I cannot
publish the zip file using the web interface. However, if you Paolo,
or Alex, want to publish it, I definitely like the idea. We are not
adding any new functionality lately, but mostly fixing bugs, so I
would propose to release regularly, like once a week, to have all new
fixed available.

I propose to tag versions using the current QGIS version and an extra
number, so now we will do 2.0.1.2, then 2.0.1.3....and once QGIS 2.0.2
is out, we move to 2.0.2.1. Sounds ok to you?