[Qgis-developer] 2.0 Stable API?

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Oct 30 06:19:56 PDT 2013

Hi,

I would like to try wherever possible to only extend the API and not
change or remove existing methods. This will help to ensure, that
plugins written for 2.0 will stay working for minor releases.

If there is a (more clever/better) replacement for a method, the old
one should be deprecated. There are several ways to do this e.g.
Q_DECL_DEPRECATED in C++ /Deprecated/ for SIP annotations but I'm not
sure what exactly they do. More important IMO is to write a note about
what should be used instead in order for your code to be prepared for
the future, like "@deprecated: This method will be removed in QGIS 3.
Use abc( xyz ) instead."
Often a simple default value for a newly introduced parameter is enough
anyway.

There may be places, where it is not possible to keep the API or the
amount of extra work required to keep it would be enormous. In this
cases, I think we could think of changes to the API, but they need
careful consideration.

In short: I would like to keep plugins working without changes wherever
possible.

Matthias