[Qgis-developer] Splash screen for 2.0

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sun Sep 1 11:38:57 PDT 2013

Hi Anita,

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Anita Graser <anitagraser at gmx.at> wrote:

> Hi Larry,
>
> Am 31.08.2013, 14:20 Uhr, schrieb Larry Shaffer <larrys at dakotacarto.com>:
>
>> Be nice to have a more assertive font, or at least a similar font with a
>> better Q, I think.
>>

> I saw your older post on fonts as well. Could you suggest some specific
> fonts which we can use?

Here are 14 font families I found on Google fonts that may work [0]. I
think almost all fonts there are under the SIL Open Font License. Some are
similar to the font already used (Ubuntu?), but have a stronger Q.

I set the preview text to QGIS and the Show popup to Header. I'm partial to
Rambla, Source Sans Pro, and Merriweather Sans

Btw, I've done quite a bit of testing with the Source Sans Pro (open) font
from Adobe. It works very well for the base GUI font in the app and PyQGIS
console (Source Code Pro), even across platforms. It has similar
characteristics to Ubuntu Mono. I know some people might not like the fonts
strictly on the grounds that they come from Adobe, but both the Source Sans
and Code Pro are very well crafted, and free and open-licensed.

[0]
http://www.google.com/fonts/#ReviewPlace:refine/Collection:Rambla|Source+Sans+Pro|Brawler|Signika+Negative|Headland+One|Lato|Average|ABeeZee|Duru+Sans|Arimo|Podkova|Merriweather+Sans|Cardo|Roboto+Slab
[1] http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Source+Sans+Pro ,
http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Source+Code+Pro ,