[Qgis-developer] connecting new style CUSTOM signal to existing Qgis object in Qgis2.0

Jeff Cavner jcavner at ku.edu
Wed Sep 25 15:26:49 PDT 2013

For Python plugin development how do you connect a custom signal using the
new style of signals and slots to a PyQgis object, specifically to
QgsProject.instance()?  Having a hard time with this given the pyqtSignal
is defined as a python Class static variable, and then bound using
self.###.connect etc.  Is there a way to create custom signals in the new
style for objects that you don't necessarily have access to their
constructor, like for existing Qgis objects?

Additionally I noticed that from the python console in Qgis 2.0, the old
style of signals still work (connected to QgsProject) I compiled 2.0 from
source for Ubuntu, and am running both 1.8 and 2.0.  But 2.0 doesn't seem
to complain about old style signals at the python console, was wondering if
it is sharing the 1.8 version of PyQt with v.1 sip, and that is what is
causing it not to complain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff