[Qgis-developer] install instructions

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Sep 29 12:15:01 PDT 2013

On 09/29/2013 02:27 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, the instructions were streamlined too much.  The original ubuntu
> instructions on http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/Download are still correct
> (give or take some added or removed distributions).
>
> I opened a ticket on https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Website/issues/104 yesterday.
>

> Jürgen

I had actually been wondering if we should make a small deb that users
can double click that does the setup of the repos for them (creates the
source.list.d/qgis.list). Would even be awesome to make it detect the
version of the OS and put in the right repos for that version. Then we
could move the how to do it by hand to an Advanced section.

I've seen some other projects do this (Trying to find a good example).

Barry - To clarify again, the Ubuntugis version is the same version of
QGIS, what differs is GDAL, PROJ and GEOS - by significant version, ie
gdal 1.8 vs 1.10

This is critical because 1.10.x supports more of the formats people
having been asking for like HDF, etc...

To be honest I always recommend Ubuntugis/Stable or /Unstable to
everyone I work with over the qgis.org packages. Partly because of
serious things fixed in GDAL but also because its the best way to get
Postgis2, which is becoming common with QGIS users, and newer Spatialite
(outside QGIS).

The qgis.org sweet spot seems to be the nightly builds which are for the
more technically inclined anyways and should know how to manipulate apt.

Thanks,
Alex