[Qgis-developer] Vienna hackfest: QGIS Legend discussion

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:12:14 PDT 2014

Hi

First of all thanks everyone who contributed to this thread - there
were many interesting ideas that we can discuss further.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Régis Haubourg
<regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:
> Some questions here since French users are really interested in that work,
> and need some info before being able to fund some work :
>
> - I saw Lutra Consulting calls for fundings on that item. Is the budget
> fullfilled or are you still looking for funds? [

We are still looking for funds for the project (so far we have reached
~70% of the goal) - and therefore contributions are welcome!

> - We previously discussed of legend for size varying symbols and diagrams
> [0]. Is that also included in that work?

This is not part of the refactoring work, but it is very interesting
use case and therefore I will keep it in mind and do the design in a
manner that adding such functionality should be possible. Advanced
legend manipulation could be another followup project.

> - Can some give us some conclusions of what what said in codesprint legend
> workgroup on this? (sorry for not being able to come and contribute there)

While we have discussed various aspects, we have not reached too many
conclusions :-)

- legend vs layer manager - there was a good point that we are mixing
the concept of map legend and layer manager into one tree. While these
are related, they get into conflicts... while layer manager should be
a tool for management of the map (and be as powerful as possible), map
legend should provide mainly the help for the user to identify the map
elements (and be as simple as possible).

- support for multiple canvases - while it is not the intent to have
this functionality when the refactoring is complete, the work should
bring us a bit closer to that. It is still unclear how multiple
canvases should behave as there are lots of use cases with different
needs, e.g.:
  - tabbed vs split screen canvases
  - same or different map extent
  - same or different layer styles
  - same or different set of layers / visibility

- new functionality suggested - we discussed some of the ideas from
the thread, especially the ones from Olivier. No conclusion was
reached whether to adopt all of them in the future, but the icons as
indicators for labeling, diagrams, snapping, actions, editing(?) etc
were seen as potentially very useful. They could be even used for
reporting map canvas refresh progress (animated wait icon) or
errors/warnings (e.g. reprojection failed).

I am sure there were more things discussed which I have forgotten
already, other participants please feel free to add your impressions.

Regards
Martin