[Qgis-developer] Vienna hackfest: QGIS Legend discussion

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 04:14:52 PDT 2014

Hi Régis

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM, Régis Haubourg
<regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr> wrote:

>> This is not part of the refactoring work, but it is very interesting
>> use case and therefore I will keep it in mind and do the design in a
>> manner that adding such functionality should be possible. Advanced
>> legend manipulation could be another followup project.
>
> Hi Martin, does that mean that we need to wait that your refactoring is
> finished before starting a work on proportionnal legends? What is the target
> version for that?

The refactoring is a requirement for such thing - the goal of that
work is really to allow greater flexibility of legend widget. The plan
is to get it into 2.4 release.

> This is a high priority use case here, should we fund a temporary plugin for
> current versions ? This is sub-optimal too me, and that requires also we
> fund first a plugin, and secondly a core feature.

Unfortunately I do not think it would be possible to have a plugin
that would show the proportional legend directly in legend widget or
composer legend. Maybe a plugin that would just generate an image with
proportional legend so it could be included in composition - not a
great solution.

I can imagine a python plugin for QGIS >=2.4 that would add this functionality.

>> - legend vs layer manager - there was a good point that we are mixing
>> the concept of map legend and layer manager into one tree. While these
>> are related, they get into conflicts... while layer manager should be
>> a tool for management of the map (and be as powerful as possible), map
>> legend should provide mainly the help for the user to identify the map
>> elements (and be as simple as possible).
>
> Are you heading to an arcmap like solution with different tabs in layer
> registry?

I'm not really sure what you mean... maybe a screenshot would help.

Regards
Martin