[Qgis-developer] Plugin sync across machines via web file?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Apr 5 13:00:17 PDT 2014

-
On 05-04-14 20:26, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 04/05/2014 11:20 AM, AntonioLocandro wrote:
>> Hi is it possible to sync the plugins from one machine across all the
>> machines I use QGIS? Here is the situation
>>
>> I normally work with QGIS on my personal laptop, I have downloaded and
>> tested several plugins and I have kept the ones I want. When I go to my
>> office I work on my workstation but I then have to remember what plugins I
>> use or I think I have a plugin installed while that isn't true. What I would
>> like is some way for QGIS to sync plugin from a web file I have shared on a
>> public accessible place be that github, dropbox, etc.
>>
>> Ideas? I would love to have an automatic solution that doesn't involve
>> copy/paste some file each time I need to sync plugins since that would be
>> error prone
>>

> I think you already found the answer, symlink a folder that you keep in
> dropbox (or other sync service). Or just add the Dropbox subfolder to
> the plugin search path - I just noticed the dialog in the QGIS options
> says it's only for C++ plugins, so maybe an enhancement request.

Well, there is actually something in QGIS already, with which can you
use a custom directory for all your plugins and settings.

Try to start QGIS with the extra parameters '--configpath'
(to see all options: try 'qgis.exe --help')

if on windows, edit the bat file that starts QGIS, with something like:

qgis.exe --configpath c:\temp\myqgisconfig

this does 2 things:
1) it switches Qt on windows to write setting to ini file format
(instead of registry), so that is much more portable
2) instead of the .qgis2 directory in your USER dir, it will create
exact that structure and put all plugins you install in that dir

so now: you can share the myqgisconfig dir (which is actually a
.qgis2-like dir) between several computers, ti will both contain a
CONFIG/QGIS/QGIS2.ini (with all your settings) as a python/olugins dir
with all your downloaded plugins) Be as creative as possible on how to
share do this.

(with the other option --optionspath you can point qgis to a share
QSettingsfile ( ini-format! ).

Hope this helps, Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps, below output of qgis --help here on Debian:
ps2, I'll try to write a small blog article about this too...

qgis --help
src/app/main.cpp: 402: (main) Starting qgis main
QGIS - 2.3.0-Master 'Master' (72b3812)
QGIS is a user friendly Open Source Geographic Information System.
Usage: /home/richard/apps/qgis/master/debug/bin/qgis [OPTION] [FILE]
  OPTION:
	[--snapshot filename]	emit snapshot of loaded datasets to given file
	[--width width]	width of snapshot to emit
	[--height height]	height of snapshot to emit
	[--lang language]	use language for interface text
	[--project projectfile]	load the given QGIS project
	[--extent xmin,ymin,xmax,ymax]	set initial map extent
	[--nologo]	hide splash screen
	[--noplugins]	don't restore plugins on startup
	[--nocustomization]	don't apply GUI customization
	[--customizationfile]	use the given ini file as GUI customization
	[--optionspath path]	use the given QSettings path
	[--configpath path]	use the given path for all user configuration
	[--code path]	run the given python file on load
	[--defaultui]	start by resetting user ui settings to default
	[--help]		this text

  FILE:
    Files specified on the command line can include rasters,
    vectors, and QGIS project files (.qgs):
     1. Rasters - supported formats include GeoTiff, DEM
        and others supported by GDAL
     2. Vectors - supported formats include ESRI Shapefiles
        and others supported by OGR and PostgreSQL layers using
        the PostGIS extension