[Qgis-developer] Adding plugins to core?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 22:47:37 PDT 2014

On 7 April 2014 14:53, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

>> I agree that it would be a great thing to have the OpenLayers plugin
>> (or at least a similalar functionality) available by default in core
>
> It seems that we all agree on this could you write the list, so we'll ask Pirmin?
> All the best.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but isn't the OpenLayers plugin a bit
legally murky? I'm pretty sure that it's either  violating the Google
maps terms of service or if not, it's cutting it pretty close. I know
the Viking GPS program ran into issues back in 2008 with their
in-built support for google maps layers [1][2] and were forced to
remove this support.

Having OpenLayers as a non-official plugin gives us some distance from
issues like this - if we make this a core feature then we are
effectively endorsing this functionality and may be opening ourselves
to potential legal issues.

Nyall

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/viking/mailman/viking-devel/thread/492FFE74.6060405@gmail.com/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/viking/mailman/message/20797817/