[Qgis-developer] Adding plugins to core?

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 11:05:11 PDT 2014

Hi !

I agree with those saying it's better to integrate the features of
top-plugin in the core, if we find the features are worth it, and if
someone has the time to do so, rather than shipping dozens of preinstalled
plugin.

I don't like the impression it gives to have a brand new software already
"bloated" by plugins, which you never really know what they do and if it's
OK or not to remove them.

A better alternative IMO is to display the "featured" plugins category as a
tab in the plugin manager, but not to preinstall them.
It could even become the default page of the plugin manager.

I personally feel much better when adding by myself suggested plugins than
when hesitating to remove a plugin which I'm not really sure what it's
about but seems kinda-important since it already was installed...

About this, please consider this ticket also :
http://hub.qgis.org/issues/9405

Cheers !

Olivier