[Qgis-developer] [GRASS-dev] GRASS & QGIS: the future

Radim Blazek radim.blazek at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 06:55:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 18/04/2014 11:31, Radim Blazek ha scritto:
>> I have upgraded  the vector provider to GRASS 7, layers may be added
>> by drag from browser. The raster and the plugin are disabled. Be
>> careful about multiple versions on the same system
>> (LD_LIBRARY_PATH..., check with ldd if does not work).
>
> Thanks for this. If I understand well, this means:
> * we can load GRASS7 vectors through QGIS browser
> * we cannot load GRASS7 rasters
> * the qgis-grass-plugin is not functional with GRASS7

Yes. We are talking about current master, not about intended final
implementation.

> BTW, GRASS6 vectors apparently cannot be loaded from QGIS browser as a
> whole.
>
> This, coupled with several serious regressions I found, may mean that
> GRASS support in QGIS is essentially broken,

You are talking about GRASS 6 support? What are serious regressions?

> and things may only get
> worse with the arrival of GRASS7, if nobody works to fix it.
> Am I too pessimistic?

> The most likely solution seems to use GRASS only through Processing.
> This also has a number of major limitations, however.

The Processing plugin may substitute "GRASS Tools" part of the plugin
(i.e. modules GUI), it cannot help  with:
  - mapset creation
  - vector/raster maps visualization
  - vector digitizing
  - region visualization and editing
The Processing plugin is good for users who don't want to use GRASS
data format at all. The GRASS plugin is GRASS GUI alternative for true
GRASS users.

Radim