[Qgis-developer] Python plugins mandatory metadata

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 08:01:55 PDT 2014

Hi,

It seems like most of us are still confused about mandatory metadata
in Python plugins.

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic in the past and I
would like to resume the discussion.

IIRC the most debated questions were:

* if "homepage" must be mandatory
* if "tracker" must be mandatory
* if "repository" must be mandatory

We somewhat agreed about leaving those metadata optional but "highly
recommended", this means that the automatic validator still accepts
the plugin but a warning is shown to the author and to website staff
users.

The plugin approval is not automatic, if somebody thinks that for a
particular plugin one of those metadata are absolutely necessary
he/she can just unapprove the plugin.

I'm still convinced that the a.m. metadata should be recommended but
not mandatory but of course we can change this policy.

If I missed the point in which a different decision was taken, please
let me know and I will add those rules to the validator.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it