[Qgis-developer] removing MetaSearch GetCapabilities checking

Tom Kralidis tomkralidis at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 09:43:22 PDT 2014

Devs: in QGIS' MetaSearch plugin, we have had various issues being
reported which are all rooted in the following behaviour.

When MetaSearch presents CSW results, records which have associated
WMS/WMTS/WFS/WCS type links detected will have an "Add to
[WMS/WMTS|WFS|WCS] button enabled.  When the user clicks the button
[1], MetaSearch (among other things) uses OWSLib to do a quick
GetCapabilities test/check [2] as a means of verifying things before
it's passed to the appropriate provider [3].

The original intent was to prevent erroneously detected URLs from
getting to the provider dialogs, but it is looking like ([4], [5],
[6]) this is turning to be more of a burden that does not yield
additional value to the logic/checking already baked in the existing
WMS/WMTS/WFS/WCS providers proper.  So then MetaSearch just passes the
URL as-is.

Alex/Richard/Angelos: I propose lifting this out of MetaSearch per
above.  Comments/objections/other ideas?

..Tom

[1] https://github.com/geopython/MetaSearch/blob/master/plugin/MetaSearch/dialogs/maindialog.py#L644
[2] https://github.com/geopython/MetaSearch/blob/master/plugin/MetaSearch/dialogs/maindialog.py#L672
[3] https://github.com/geopython/MetaSearch/blob/master/plugin/MetaSearch/dialogs/maindialog.py#L721