[Qgis-developer] QtXml is no longer maintained in Qt5

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Dec 4 01:01:48 PST 2014

Thank you Jürgen and Nyall,

On 04.12.2014 09:44, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> On 4 December 2014 at 19:25, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
>> We could just keep using it and fork it if need be.  Any idea why it was
>> discontinued?
>>
> This link [1] suggests that it hasn't been discontinued, it's just
> unmaintained, and isn't scheduled for removal. That doesn't solve the
> PyQt5 problem though... It's also worth noting that QtXml is very
> slow, which is noticeable on project load/save.

I wrote a mail to the PyQt mailing list to ask about the status.

In general I think it is preferable to stay close to upstream as in the
long run mainenance effort is normally smaller.
But in this case a fork of QtXml (or its python bindings) may indeed be
a good option considering the amount of work and the API break involved.
For no apparent benefits and no clear migration path outlined.

Matthias