[Qgis-developer] Saving map config, or the meaning of extent (again)

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Dec 8 00:10:26 PST 2014

On 08-12-14 05:51, Martin Dobias wrote:
>> What's more worth saving: scale of visible area ?
> IMHO it does not really matter much.
>
> One issue I could see by saving center+scale instead of extent is that
> e.g. if you load a project with map extent to the whole project, in
> differently shaped QGIS window some bits of data may be slightly
> outside of the view. But even for this case the canvas could store its
> original

I think this is a classical case for computer aided gis software :-)
Sometimes as a user you want to keep your area of interest exact when
you go from one size to another size of 'view', but (I think) most of
the times it is more intuitive to have the scale fixed (personal opinion).

There will allways be two camps in this, and several use-cases for both.
I think you draw the right conclusion that as soon as you start
rotating, the extent is not sufficient anymore and it is better to keep
scale+center to set your 'area of interest'.
As long as you can go from one to another (via a nice function), I'm in
favour of the center/scale option now.

Thanks for all the effort you put in this and rotation by the way.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde