[Qgis-developer] Adding visual changelog entries to QGIS Tips

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Tue Dec 9 06:04:10 PST 2014

On 09-12-14 09:56, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> I think QGIS tips are a nice idea, and have been a bit neglected so
> far. What about making them richer by adding individual visual
> changelog entries as separate tips? In this way, user will learn more
> quickly about new features for each version, with mininal effort for all.
> If agreed, I can open a ticket for this. A QEP seems overkil for such
> a simple task, right?

Hi Paolo,

I like the idea, but it seems not so trivial to me.

Currently the tips are cpp source and images are part of the resources:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/app/qgstipfactory.cpp#L162

visual changelog items can be exported to rst or html, but currently on
one page. Some hacking will be needed to do such automatically.

Off course copying the text into the ccp file by hand is always an option...

Another option would be (when user is online) to deeplink to the website
with url's like:

http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/visualchangelog260/#feature-color-palettes

and show those in the tips? This would make efficient use of current
changelogs (with drawback that in that page all entries are into one
page too...)

anyway: it's worth a feature request

Regards,

Richard