[Qgis-developer] Unexpected change in ESPG codes from shapefiles (in stable and dev)

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Dec 19 07:22:48 PST 2014

Am 19.12.2014 um 08:05 schrieb Kari Salovaara:
> Hi,
>
> thanks Leyan.
> Unfortunately that knowledge doesn't help to solve rhe problem.
> I looked proj tables and I noticed that there is four different codes with same
> parsed items.
> And further, why QGIS makes its own variant of the name which is not used
> anywhere in Finland. I know there is no standard for those names but...
>
> I'm continuing to find  some solution for this "niche".

You can always make use of .qpj files to force a specific EPSG code. The
.prj file normally does not have EPSG codes inside (especially if they
are from the Arcgis world), therefore the .qpj file was invented.
QGIS always creates .qpj files, so when you have set the CRS once
correct, you can copy that semi-automated to any shapefile you get from
outside.

By the way, the EPSG database states for EPSG:3067:

"Remarks:
Identical to ETRS89 / UTM zone 35N (code 25835) except for area of use.
See ETRS89 / TM35FIN(N,E) (code 5048) for more usually used alternative
with axis order reversed. "

And for EPSG:5048:

"Remarks:
Identical to ETRS89 / UTM zone 35N (N,E) (code 3047) except for area of
use. Used in preference to ETRS89 / TM35FIN(E,N) (CRS code 3067) in
which coordinate axes are in order easting-northing.

So the axis sorting is different, but that is not part of the proj
definition.

HTH,
André Joost