[Qgis-developer] QGIS SZIP.DLL Licensing?

Etienne Tourigny etourigny.dev at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 10:59:50 PST 2014

What is the problem with distributing the szip.dll ? There is no agreement
between qgis (or gdal) with szip/hdf group.

My understanding of the info in this page
http://www.hdfgroup.org/doc_resource/SZIP/ is:

- In no circumstances a user can create hdf5 files with szip encoding
within qgis. So far, only gtiff files are created within qgis.

- you are correct in stating that commercial products can use szip for
decoding only, so it is OK for qgis to distribute the szip library.

- as qgis is not a commercial product and does not allow to create
szip-encoded hdf5 files, there is no need for any commercial licence.

- if someone were to write software, based on qgis (and gdal), which sould
create an szip-encoded hdf5 file, that entity would require a commercial
licence

There is no GPL szip library, AFAIK.