[Qgis-developer] Fwd: [SoC] OSGeo Google Summer of Code 2014 - ideas needed!

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at eau-adour-garonne.fr
Fri Feb 7 01:33:40 PST 2014

Hi,
qgis is still very weak concerning pure cartographic uses cases with size
varying symbols, and have no working legend for this, and more generally for
all data defined symbology.
I've already shared my ideas with Martin Dobias who seems to have legend
refactoring in mind.

Since this is critic for a cartographic tool, and since data defined
symbologies can't be guessed before real data is rendered, we have something
that needs some deep investigations.

Putting this in a developpement contract seems dangerous in such early
stage. It be could either be a topic for the next hackfest, or a GsoC.

Martin, any opinion on this? Others?

Cheers
Régis