[Qgis-developer] Post-release period of portable commits only?

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Sat Feb 22 13:33:11 PST 2014

Hi,

I have a suggestion with regards to addressing bugs and supporting the
concept of a 2.2.1 bug-fix release for stability's sake.

How about for a set period of time, only commits that devs think can
readily be ported to the 2.2.0 branch are 'allowed' on master? With any
code changes, which would make porting changes/fixes over to the 2.2.0
branch difficult, submitted via pull requests. Maybe for two weeks?

I think if code is committed to core that steamrolls over the means of
providing a reasonably timed bug-fix update, it becomes that much harder to
do so. I also think much user frustration may stem from that vicious cycle,
and we have an opportunity to fix that *right now*.

Don't get me wrong. I like the new release schedule. Just looking for ways
to make it as beneficial for users as it is for devs/packagers.

Best regards,

Larry