[Qgis-developer] Datum transformations

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Feb 25 07:23:15 PST 2014

Hi Leyan

 >I think it would be better to remove the towgs84 parameters for the
ellipsoids where there is no clear choice, and offer to set the datum
transformation, but I agree it is hard to >go about it in a
user-friendly way.

Yes, it was the original behaviour to always ask the user, however it
was considered as not user friendly.

 >In my case, the coefficients offered for Beijing54 ellipsoid come
from  different sources and only cover a small area each. This ellipsoid
is only used in China and there is no >official list of coefficients to
transform (CRS are kind of an important secret in China, which does not
really make sense ...).

Even in Switzerland, where it seems to be a clear choice (one CRS for
the whole country), the default towgs84 parameters of the national crs
are only accurate one digit behind the dot. So choosing the
transformation with an accuracy of three digits behind the dot in the
datum transform dialog makes a well visible difference.

Regards,
Marco