[Qgis-developer] OSM address search

p0cisk p0cisk at o2.pl
Wed Jan 1 11:21:49 PST 2014

Hi all
+1 for Tim idea.
Some time ago I was thinking about further development of osmSearch plugin.
I created widget similar to Firefox search box with possibility to select
search engine. I was thinking about separate panel (like in osmSearch) but
this widget can be also added to new QGIS toolbar as Tim mentioned [0].

These are some of my ideas (similar to Tim suggestions):
- user can choose many search engines (by selecting them in menu/settings)
- user can assign key word to search engine and perform searching only in
chosen engine (e.g.. "m search_phrase" for MapQuest search)
- results are displayed in tree view (in separate panel) with root as search
engine e.g.:

+ OSM Nominatim
|- Result 1
|- Result 2
|- ...
+ MapQuest Nominatim
|- Result 1
|- ...
+ ...

- items in tree view can be set/unset visible on canvas by clicking checkbox
(including all groups)
- new search engines could be created as new python modules (plugins
architecture) inheriting from base search class (I think this could also
allow to search data sources in loaded layers/hard drives/web/OGC
standards/etc.)
- more autocomplete control by user
- pan/zoom to selected feature, limit extent

Other functionalities, like reverse geocoding or displaying result details
in widget, are also a good ideas that can be implemented. Any other
suggestions/ideas?

For now, to mid January, I have very limited time to take care of this
ideas. Later this month I can try to do some work.

[0] https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63594228/QGIS_search.png

Regards
Piotr Pociask