[Qgis-developer] Plugins approval

Matthias Kuhn matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Jan 7 00:04:56 PST 2014

Is there a real problem we are trying to solve with this?

I am not sure, each plugin will belong to exactly one menu and the
rules can technically be enforced. IMO They can as well have some
entries in two different menus. Or require a totally new menu (although
there need to be really good reasons for this).
This discussion seems related to the category vs. tags discussion for
plugins, which we had some time ago, where I also think, that the
category solution is not flexible enough in comparison to the
possibilities offered to plugin authors by the extensive QGIS API.

Therefore, I would propose not to implement hard rules (like specifying
the menu in metadata) but leave all the options to the plugin author
and have some intelligent soft rules, which can be considered for each
case individually, and eventually be discussed with the plugin author
in the approval process.

Best
Matthias