[Qgis-developer] Make valid in master

Larry Shaffer larrys at dakotacarto.com
Wed Jan 15 23:24:19 PST 2014

Hi Paolo,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>wrote:

> Hi all.
> To the best of my knowledge, our make clean command, available through
> the Processing subplugin:
>
> http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/processinglwgeomprovider/
>
> is the most effective method to clean up invalid geometries.
> I would therefore suggest to include it in master, in order to have it
> available straight away for everybody.
> This depends on lwgeom, available at least on Debian and Windows.

I have recently made a Homebrew formula for Mac that allows liblwgeom to be
built without Postgres/PostGIS installs (a bit of a hack, actually). So,
the standalone lib is now readily available on Mac OS X as well [0].

+1 for this to be included in QgsGeometry or similar class.

It would help solve labeling issues where the extents-clipped geometry is
invalid. Would slow rendering down, of course, but would be good to have as
an option for faster machines and print jobs. Note: the validity fix would
be applied to the duplicates of feature geometries, which are used by PAL.

[0]
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/liblwgeom.rb

Larry