[Qgis-developer] Changelog: Misleading "Author" tag

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Jan 18 12:57:27 PST 2014

Hi Matthias

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias.kuhn at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Having a look at the (awesome) changelog [1] I noticed the "Author" tag.
> It looks to me, that this tag mentions the author of the changelog
> description, but it can easily be mistaken for the author of the feature
> (at least that's what I expected first when looking at it).
> While I am extremely thankful to people writing these changelog entries, I
> think credit has to be given where it is due, so I would recommend to
> rename this tag to "description author" and have another tag "feature
> author(s)" next to it.
>
> That is a 'bug' - the entry author is only supposed to be displayed on the
items pending approval and is intended solely for the person approving the
article to know who authored the entry should they wish to discuss it with
the before approval. We will get the item removed from the main listing
page ASAP.

On the larger topic of providing credit, historically in our release
changelogs I have tried not to single out particular authors since for
every sexy new bit of eye candy 1 developer creates, there are 10 more devs
doing 'under the hood' work that end users often don't realise has taken
place, and that doesn't get mentioned in the changelog. For this reason I
prefer to keep the language in the changelog neutral as possible in terms
of who did what so that we feel a collective pride in the release.

As with all things this is open to debate and I am not trying to lay down
the law here....so if anyone feels strongly that the approach should be
otherwise lets discuss...

PS any ideas / bugs are welcome - simply drop them onto our backlog at
https://waffle.io/timlinux/projecta

PPS look out for the new voting functionality for project decisions we are
prototyping too...

Regards

Tim

> Best
> Matthias

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net